Jean Daum took over the operations of glass factory in Nancy, France, known as Verrerie de Nancy, in 1875. It was the only one in this region.
In 1879, August Daum took over for his father and in 1887 his brother, Antonin, joined him. Inspired by the works of Emile Galle, the Daum brothers decided to open a glass decorating studio in 1889.
By 1893, they were exhibiting their aesthetic works at all of the great shows. They took inspiration from nature and used shallow cuts or acid etching, along with enamel to bring their works of art to life.